Hello everyone, it’s been far too long since I’ve given you guys one of these less formal blogs and so I figured I would update today. My plan is to update these blogs a bit more frequent as the days go by. The idea behind these blogs is so that I can give you all my quick opinions on all of the happenings in my life as well as some of the headlines in the world of sports, entertainment and everything in between. I welcome all feedback as always either in the comment section of this post, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and on twitter @TommyOnTheSpot. Without any further ado let’s get right into it.
- I want to take a minute to wish everyone observing the Yom Kippur holiday a safe fast. I am celebrating myself but wouldn’t call myself overly religious. I actually consider myself half Jewish and half Catholic as my mother is Jewish and my father the latter so I was raised this way. My views on religion are basically that one should be able to practice their religion as they choose. I don’t agree with celebrating or practicing something the right or wrong way, it should be a personal choice. I feel that if your comfortable with the way you celebrate or observe than kudos to you. Personally I am at work today and observe the holiday of Yom Kippur by both fasting and not driving for the day. This meant that in the wee hours of the morning I walked four miles to work this morning and will walk those same four miles later today to the Yizkor service later today.
- I’d also like to take a minute to acknowledge the passing of one of the best baseball players in the history of the sport, Yogi Berra, who passed away through the night at the age of 90 years old. Many of you know that I grew up a Yankee fan and growing up, I always heard stories about Gehrig, DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle and Berra. It truly is the end of an era as Yogi was the last living member of that era that was still pretty active even until very recently. I used to go to Old Timer’s Day at Yankee Stadium every year, and while that franchise has iconic players from every era, there was a different feel whenever Berra was introduced. The legacy of Yogi Berra will be remembered forever through his many catch phrases and his incomparable accomplishments on the field. He will truly be missed and my thoughts and prayers are with his family during this time.
- Tonight Survivor: Second Chance premieres on CBS with a 90 minute special at 8PM EST. I’m really looking forward to the season as it feels like just yesterday we were looking at the different contestants that we wanted to see on the show and tonight the 31st season of Survivor finally kicks off. My plan is to be here with coverage of each and every episode of Survivor:Second Chance at some point during the week following each episode. In general this is one of my favorite television nights of the year because CBS debuts the first episode of Survivor, the same night they air the 90 minute live Big Brother season finale.
- A quick note on the Big Brother 17 season finale, to me the end of Big Brother signals the official end of the summer. Times flies by right after this, we will blend right into Halloween, then Thanksgiving and before long after that, Christmas. As for the finale, as much as I wasn’t a fan of Vanessa, I expect that if she wins the final HOH, she will win the season going away. She has played the best game of the season and has played a role in every single person going home. There is a small chance that all of the blood Vanessa got on her hands, will rub people the wrong way but honestly, if I’m Steve or Liz and I win HOH, I’m sending Vanessa home. It’s good to see Big Brother getting an extra 30 minutes for the reunion. There may not be a show that, if you follow along, takes over your life quite like Big Brother based on it being live and on going with the internet feeds, the twitter feeds, the three broadcasts a week, and the lack of TV competition during the summer. It’s sad to see it go.
- The Washington Nationals very slim playoff chances continue to take a hit as despite the Mets losing a game they had no business losing last night, the Nationals lost as well. To make matters worse, Jordan Zimmermann has a stiff neck and has refused to move up his pitching day to Thursday to face the tough Orioles. That means the Nationals will have Tanner Roark on the mound tonight and the Mets magic number to clinch the division may in fact be down to 4 tonight. I’ll be rooting hard for my Nats until that magic number is 0 but that may be before long. Tonight we’re all Braves fans.
- Lastly, there is a brand new episode of WWE NXT on the WWE Network tonight. If you haven’t been watching NXt recently you have really been missing out. I’m not sure if I could remember the last time I enjoyed a tournament as much as I have with the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team tournament. The teams have been so unique and just a lot of fun to watch each week. I caught up on last week’s episode and thought Johnny Gargano and Tamasso Ciampa looked great again and would love to see them get deals. NXT continues to differentiate itself by putting a real focus on some aspects of wrestling we don’t see as much of in WWE, it was first the women and now tag teams. I also think they’ve done a good job promoting that tournament matches would be taking place on the live shows as it gives fans an added incentive to go check those out. I was hoping that the semi finals of the tournament would be added to the MSG special on the network but putting the semis and the finals on the Takeover special builds up that show as well. I for one can’t wait to see Gable and Jordan vs. Dawson and Wilder tonight.
Well, that’s going to do it for me but a really big night for television tonight (even Empire is back), I may have to break fast with a cold one on the comfort of my couch tonight! In any event, if you haven’t done so please do check out a really fun piece I did on a Dean Ambrose autograph signing that I attended a few weeks ago right here https://thedailyspotlight.com/2015/09/23/the-spotlight-on-dean-ambrose-at-iplay-America/ and stay tuned for more great stuff right here on thedailyspotlight.com. Tomorrow, I’ll be back with my pick for the Thursday night Football game between the Giants and the Redskins. I’ll also be back with another edition of the daily spotlight blog for tomorrow and I have a few more fun things that I’ve been working on. Until then, have a great day!